Monday 29 November 2010

Day 66 - Derby Time

It probably takes you one or two seconds to see what this photo is all about. Well it's about volleyball...
I play volleyball (not to wonderfully though) in my hometown and have made some pretty good friends there and one of those asked me to take some shots of her (their) match against the #2 in line (them being the #1).
A nice derby to be sure, plus an excellent excuse for me to try out Volleyball Photography.
More after the jump>>>



So like, it was a really good excuse for me to TRY out volleyball photography, and I can tell you up front: It's fricking hard!
It stresses both the photographer as well as the camera. Normally you work under daylight conditions or if something is to dark you light it with strobe or lights until you get the desired result. Couldn't really do flash here for that would have distracted the players. Too bad :(
So that means working under low terrible light (fluorescents, yech), with fast moving people and object while shooting from the bleachers (NL: tribunes).... You have to work with a really big aperature in the ranges of f2.8 to get at least a bit of speed from your lens, and then you only get like a 60th of a second on your shutter. Well, let's crank up the ISO then and push it all the way to 1600. Normally I hate doing this for my camera is not that well-suited for ISO 1600 shots, you get a grainy distortion in the photo which I particulary dislike, but today I did not have a choice.

Now I am shooting at ISO1600, f2.8, 350th, and still it isn't really enough to get a decent photo. Well live with it :S
I have done my best and didn't come out on top, but I am still learning and am going to have a long, good think about how to change these photos into good ones next time I get to shoot a match. With a little luck I am allowed to shoot from the sidelines instead of the bleachers, that would certainly help.

All in all I would like to say: Just have a look around, and let me know what you think of the photos.

Cheers















2 comments:

  1. First of; Thank you so much for shooting those pictures! I know making good pictures of volleyball players and matches is a tough job. But I think you did a great job. NEXT TIME! you just come down to field to make them, okay? c;

    I adore the second picture of the entry c; <3
    And Ali said she enjoyed seeing herself so much on the pictures =D

    So we'll see you this saturday again? The only way to improve your volleyball shots is to keep practising, isn't it? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there mate!

    The last picture is perfect. Nice action shot (Pegasus block is way too late :P). Once I also tried to take volleyball pictures with my simple camera. It's good if you do not need to zoom in and in high light, but as you say it's particularly difficult ;) You should come today and take some pictures of "the flying Dutchman" :P

    Cheers mate

    ReplyDelete